Down the Memory Lane


Down the Memory Lane


It is the experience in our life that determines our intelligence and wisdom. Life is the biggest source from where we culminate this innate beauty present within all of us. There is a chain of events that transformed my fears into mere ashes of the fire that once lit in my heart.

The Beginning of a Series
It was 6 A.M and I was resting on my bed lying awake. My friends had come to my home and we were subsequently watching horror movies night long. I was scared of such movies but I had to overcome the fear of ghosts one day, so why not today? Instinctively, human beings feel safe while being accompanied by someone so I invited few of my friends at home just for company because my parents were not home.

 We saw movies till 4 in the morning. I was trying to sleep but the horrifying scenes of those movies engulfed my mind. The most predominant feeling residing in me was fear. The movies had such an effect on my overall self that I felt that someone was keeping a continuous watch on me. There was complete silence around me. The sounds of dropping of water or anything peculiar would trigger fear within me.

I did not know what to do. I tried meditating, deep breathing and all those practices which my elders would advise me to try whenever fear or anger come up in the body. I did not feel like going out of my home. Winter was at its peak and it was freezing cold. Going out in this weather will surely give me goosebumps. Moreover, the silence and darkness all around the valley would spook me to the last. Whatever it may be, I did not intend to even get up from my bed.   

Dadaji
My parents had gone to Lonavala as my grandfather was in a critical situation. A few weeks later, the news of his passing away came like a great disaster for me. I was all shaken and my eyes were filled with tears.

I had a great bonding with my grandfather. Whenever my summer vacations were nearing I got filled with excitement as I would be meeting my grandfather after a long span of twelve months. ‘Dadaji’, as I would call him, would equally be excited to meet me and would bring me a whole lot of gifts. He used to forget that he was 67 and acted so agile and active as if he was of my age.
Thinking all about him, I spent my whole day crying and sobbing. My grandfather was a kind-hearted man and was a social activist who helped those in need, irrespective of their caste or religion. His acts did inspire others but they also made many religious leaders and followers angry and annoyed to such an extent that many people would try to hurt him. One day, while providing relief to those minority caste civilians who were stereotyped and discriminated by all, someone attempted to murder him by shooting him from a gun. After days of treatment too, the doctors were unable to save my grandfather.

I had seen in the movies that the souls of the ones who die in unexpected events roam around everywhere until it gets enlightened. I was already scared by the movies and this would add on to it. I felt that ‘Dadaji’ was all around me every moment. I actually started feeling proximity to him. When my neighbors and teachers came to know about the myth due to which I was worried so much, they had a similar answer to this, “All of this has been proved wrong by science and these myths just make people scared or terrified. Your grandfather was a great man and was against all these futile practices. Then how come, on his death can you believe in all this?” I understood what they tried to say. It took weeks to get over this matter but then I was all fine.

Realistically unreal!!
I was watching television. Suddenly, my peripheral vision could make me sense a person running behind the house premises. I was not sure and I thought that it would just be my misconception and started watching television again. The actions that took place after that made me run in every corner of the house seeking for help. Primarily, my clock which did not even have an alarm facility in it suddenly started ringing and produced strange and peculiar sounds like, ’hee-hee-heeeee' or 'hoo-hoo-hooo’. Frightened, I started running and screaming like anything. Suddenly after that, I could see a skeleton falling from nowhere and after that, I could see my house turning into a haunted house with a flying broom, speaking walls and what not!

My heartbeat accelerated to the maximum level it could. I sat on the floor with my head near to my knees, shivering badly. Then, through the window, I saw some faces peeping up and all my fear vanished in a snap. They were my friends laughing at me with their fun-filled faces. They came inside with huge sound of laughter and consoled me. After asking them for the reason for this prank, they disclosed that this was done by my best friend just to make my mood lighter. They were standing and controlling this drama from outside with the help of strings and speakers.

The Outcome

The succession of these events led to a great point in my life’s history. Better late than never, I realized that the stories of ghosts and spirits were fake. It was then that I noticed that I was no more scared of these imaginative though spooky creatures. I could, from then on, live life freely and happily without any major fear. Today, I am of my grandfather’s age and am writing about how I got rid of the most unwanted feeling that resided in my heart. Even today, I feel so happy when I think about the occurrence of events in a chain that made me free from the handcuffs of fear. 

                                                                                                                                Ansh Mehta

                             

                                                                                                                         


      

Comments